Coronavirus – Japan Travel Advice


Coronavirus travel health

Check the latest information on the risk of COVID-19 for Japan on the TravelHealthPro website

See the TravelHealthPro website for more advice on travel abroad and reduce the spread of respiratory viruses during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Entry and borders

Check the entry requirements to find out what you will need to do when you arrive in Japan.

Everyone must comply with the measures put in place in Japan to limit the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19).

Return to UK

Traveling from and returning to the UK

If you plan to cross another country to return to the UK, check the travel advice of the country you are transiting through. If you are passing through a redlist country, book your hotel quarantine package before traveling to the UK.

On your return, you must follow the UK entry rules.

You are responsible for arranging your own COVID-19 test, in line with UK Government testing requirements. You should contact the local authorities to test facility information.

Be prepared for your plans to change

No trip is without risk during COVID. Countries may further restrict travel or introduce new rules at short notice, for example due to a new COVID-19 variant. Check with your travel agent or airline for any transportation changes that may delay your return trip.

If you test positive for COVID-19, you may need to stay where you are until you test negative. You may also need to seek treatment there.

Plan ahead and make sure:

  • can access money
  • understand what your insurance will cover
  • can make arrangements to extend your stay and be away longer than planned

trip to japan

34 of Japan’s 47 prefectures (including Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto) are currently in a state of near-emergency. A range of measures are in place, including restrictions on meals, school attendance and large-scale events.

Measures encouraging social distancing, mask-wearing and other basic precautions remain in place even in prefectures that are not currently in a (quasi-)emergency state. Some businesses may be closed, operate with reduced hours and/or limit the number of visitors.

A more restrictive state of emergency, or other rules and controls, may be imposed at short notice. You must follow the instructions of your local authority.

Local authorities may also put in place special measures to respond to natural disasters, including additional evacuation locations and medical procedures. See Natural Disasters for more information on general disaster preparedness in Japan.

Health in Japan

For contact details of English-speaking doctors, see our list of health care providers. To find out what to do if you think you have COVID-19, please see the Ministry of Health, Labor and Social Affairs website.

If you think you have symptoms of COVID-19, you should contact a COVID-19 consultation center, which will direct you to a PCR testing center. If you subsequently test positive for COVID-19, you will be contacted by the relevant public health center. They will ask you to self-isolate for 10 days at home, move to a government-run quarantine facility or, in more severe cases, stay in hospital. Those under 18 are not exempt from these requirements, although quarantine staff are contacting their legal representatives.

If you are self-isolating and your symptoms get worse, you should contact the public health center. They will tell you if and how to see a doctor (you will be asked to avoid public transport). They can send a car to transport you to a hotel or hospital.

If there is a possibility that your life is in danger at any time, you should dial 119 and request an ambulance.

The Japan National Tourism Organization has a 24-hour hotline (+81 50 3816-2787) that provides assistance and advice in English to visitors to Japan, including on the coronavirus. He published relevant information and other external links (in English) including a guide to access medical facilities in Japan.

Your emotional and mental well-being is important. Read tips on how to take care of your mental well-being and mental health

See Health for more details on health care in Japan.

COVID-19 vaccines if you live in Japan

Where possible, UK nationals should aim to be vaccinated in the country where they live. We will update this page when the government of Japan announces new information about the national immunization program. You can sign up to receive email notifications when this page is updated.

Japan’s national vaccination program started in February 2021 and uses Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca vaccines. British nationals residing in Japan are eligible for vaccination. Information about Japan’s COVID-19 vaccination program is available in English at
Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare (MHLW) website and also by phone at +81 (0) 120-761770.

Find out more, including which vaccines are licensed in the UK or approved by the World Health Organization, on the COVID-19 vaccines webpage if you live abroad.

If you are a British national living in Japan, you should seek medical advice from your local health care provider. Information about COVID-19 vaccines used in the national program where you live, including regulatory status, should be available from local authorities.


For more information on the financial aid you can access abroad, see our advice on financial aid.

If you live, work or study in Japan, you can find more information about financial aid programs in the country for foreign residents in the Living in Japan guide.

More information

The Japan Medical Association has a multilingual hotline (10 a.m. to 5 p.m.) for foreign nationals who need advice related to the coronavirus. The hotline number is +81 3-6233-9266. See more information on other multilingual coronavirus helplines.

Many prefectures have published local service information (some in English).

Tokyo has set up a general-purpose hotline (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) for foreign residents, providing advice on non-medical issues related to the coronavirus, including some interpretation services. The hotline number is +81 120-296-004.

If you live in Japan, you can also consult the British Embassy’s Living in Japan guide.

The Voice of America radio service in Japan (102 FM) also provides regular updates in English.

If you need urgent consular assistance, you should contact your local British Embassy, ​​High Commission or Consulate. All phone numbers are available 24/7.


Comments are closed.